So, M.I. and I were supposed to have our first session @ the best gym in Lagos today, except it's raining, so I'm at home, bloggin instead :o)~
Since we just had a huge weekend in Abuja, I figure I'll blog on the Hip Hop World Awards and present you with my thoughts and random questions. If you would rather wait until it airs on TV, please skip this post in it's entirety.
* The awards should have been held in Lagos. Don't get me wrong, the venue was sick! The decor in the foyer is the best I've ever seen in Nigeria. And the hall was lovely. But the energy was missing in the crowd. And that's because if we'd had it in Lagos, it would have been packed full, with people who were actually happy to be there to see their favorite artistes. I love abj people don't get me wrong, but everyone in abj feels like they are vip and that they should be treated as such. And for an award show you need that CROWD factor. People that will go crazy, scream, cheer, boo...whatever... just actually REACT to what's going on.
* And if it HAD to be in Abj, shouldn't we have given out like 500-1,000 tickets on radio to ensure the hall was packed with that "CROWD" factor?
* It wasn't hip hop world's fault that it started sooooo late. There was some material that was supposed to run for the sponsors that wouldn't work, and they tried to fix that last minute b4 we could start the show. Trust me if you paid millions for the opportunity to run some ads, you wouldn't have let the show start either.
* Can anyone really argue with 9ice winning four awards? I mean, I know album of the year could easily have gone to D'banj, easily... however with the kind of year 9ice had coming out of nowhere and rising straight to the top of the music industry, didn't he deserve to have a Lauryn Hill/Alicia Keys-at-the-grammy's-type of moment where he picks up all the awards?
* Congrats and props to M.I. I truly thought he would win more than two, but two is major.
* I won one. I was honestly very mentally prepared to not win any at all. And the one I did win could have gone to Wande Coal or Darey or anyone else easily... I think that says something about the state of Naija music, R&B in particular. We're doing it.
- Sidebar... the problem with actually being surprised by winning is ur never fully prepared to give an acceptance speech. As such, you always forget someone :o( I'm sorryyyyy
* I think Omawumi stole the night. Her "thank you" after winning the "Next Rated" category was one of the most moving and memorable moments I have ever been a part of... she got down on her knees and belted out a worship song to God. Wow.
* Aren't Omawumi and Waje on some Beyonce type level with their vocals??? I mean DAYUM those girls can saaaaannnnnnnggggggggg.
* Naeto C definitely deserved Rap Single of the Year. They got that one very right.
* Tuface's entrance with the chains/bondage thing was MAJOR.
* Wasn't the Trybesmen reunion real sick?? Should these guys do a reunion record?
* I'm still salty that Big Boy didn't score a nomination. But didn't Jay martins & Co reeeeally deserve the award for Best Collabo? That "Good or Bad" song was HUUUUUGE.
* I really enjoyed the hosting job. Although what sucks is you actually miss most of the show because you're spending the entire time figuring out what you need to do next.
* Didn't Nikki Laoye totally surprise everyone by totally RIPPING her set??
* Isn't Darey a class act?? And doesn't his band ROCK? I want my own joh I'm jealous.
* Basketmouth is in a class all by himself. Julius Agwu is too. Infact, major props to Naija comedians. I mean, really. You had to have been there.
* Some presenters just shouldn't be given scripts. And some people shouldn't even be presenting.
* Truth be told, doesn't Hip Hop World get an A for effort, at least? I mean, compared to some other awards show that was held late last year, whose name we shall not mention... didn't they really try to do a good job in accommodating and transporting as many people as possible, with probably half the budget of that other show?? I'm just saying. If I recall, that other show didn't give a rats ass about our industry. Just a handful of people. Can we call a spade a spade or is that ruffling too many feathers...
* Wouldn't you deem this 2009 a show a success? I thought it was great. But I could be biased as the host. I'll let you tell it.
Just random thoughts and questions from the Hip Hop world awards... Speak on it.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
First 9ice winning four awards... i was like y at first but ur points make sense. Omawunmi damn that child got some pipes on her... Nikki Laoye is impressive and so is Waje
I was shocked Big Boi was a tune but. so was Oway so kinda tough competition there.
Im so proud of MI he is an amazing rapper an we want more, more and more dont stop.
Tru Abj people like to feel but it is how we are but Lagos is still my first home.
D'banj didnt win shock horror OMG!!!
I cant believe you are suprised the song is amazing in about 6 years expect a call to Segun for you to perform at my wedding. Lol
Kini Big deal... could it reali have been any otha song... Safe is amazing yes but Kini Big Deal was an anthem.
Tuface is a stunna!! he gotta do big things so... LOL
Basketmouth is amazing mehn so is Julius Agwu infact 9ja comedy is just HOT!
9ja Music Industry is on fire and i can't wait to see what is to come.
Banky U rock dont eva change!!!
Congrats. yeah heard abj crowd don't know how to rock like we lagosians.
Hey Banky, would love to see you in action as host but i'm over here in the U.S, is there a way to catch the show on the web?
In as much as i'm a fan of 9ice, i don't think he deserved four awards. He won the same awards last year & the songs he's nominated for has been out for almost two years now or so. He should've won at least one. Djinee should've won something. Didn't agree with the category he was nominated in. He should've been in the best r&b category and/or the best song category, instead on the 'next rated' category. I mean, dude has been around for 4/5 yrs now. All in all, i hope the organisers come out with better nominations next year instead of the same obvious.
@ Anonymous and Just Moi: thanx much!!
@ Miss Bee: I'm sure it will be youtube'd once it's been broadcast. I believe it will run on air in the UK, but I doubt any US Station will carry it, could be wrong though.
@ Wienna: I understand ur point, but in truth this goes to prove my point exactly. 9ice didn't win the same awards last year. It just FEELS like that. He actually won Hip Hop Revelation (which MI took home this year) and one more category (might have been Best Street Hop)...
But in truth his album just dropped right before the awards last year, so he wasn't eligible for all these until this year. It just feels like he got em already because of the monstrous year he had. And as such, in my personal opinion, he deserved to get the awards he got. Point of correction I believe he got 3, the 4th going to ID Cabasa who is also part of their movement.
@ Wienna again: As per Djinee, the problem is he hasn't actually released an album. So his nomination for next rated is actually correct, becuz it's for artistes who haven't dropped an album yet. We are expecting Djinee's album finally real soon, so hopefully next year he'll be up for more stuff...
Banky u r d man jo,ive been waiting anxiously to hear the outcome of the awards in detail, thanks for delivering as always and congratulations on bagging the award, u totally deserved it...
By the way, d bank statements rocks
Gym.........are you having a love handle moment???cos this your..you wan go gym......hmmmmmm
aiint no party like a Lagos party........Abuja people......who dem be?where dem dey?
Alapomeji totally deserved them awards....
MI's album is off the shizzle....
I was too busy sniffling as you took your award-it didnt matter you omitted my name.......*fluttering eyelashes*
Dat def sounds like Omawunmi.....i'm so glad she aiint practising law.....she needs to keep making fantastic music...
Waje,Naeto C......they do their thing....
Cash comes before honies.....the song is on repeat on my system at work........Good or Bad stopped me in my tracks first time i heard it....its a fab collabo
Yeye presenters???......we`cant all be *big boys*....*sigh*
Maybe it's me but it started looking like HHWA 2007-2009 at a point...
Anyways, the Omawunmi Next Rated win surprised me since I was rooting like MAD for Djinee. She deserves her win though.
But all in all, I'm glad for one thing though: ALL the nominees and songs represent the BEST in Naija music at the moment.
High time the mediocres listened... and learned...
Thanks for enlightening me, boo. I'm sure you know more than i do in that department. Just crushed ni sha that my future baby-daddy didn't win anything. You and Kemi looked dapper by the way.
i thnk d winners deserved it
M.I s d mayne..i also thot he was goina win more than 2
i thot nikki wud win best female vocal,..
best male was either u or wande...congrats 2 u..
9ice deserved it...i mean his success s mad...he s married wiv a song,wat else wud any1 wish 4???
i was so shocked dat almighty DBnaj won nthg...neither did don jazzy or mo hits crew
r d days ov mo'hits ova??
is this d beginin of a new era??
no beef...just sayin
congrats 2 d winners.....
hey! bw...i hail
o... i always tell everyone i know that abj is an excuse for a place...lol...
im really pissed at 9ice being the highest winner..lol 2 9ice,i like u but i dont like the fact that u beat mi.i suppose its cos of d untimely release of talk about it 2 d hhwa.cabasa didnt deserve producer of the year,ty mixx did.lol... djinee...djinee,didnt deserve any heady 4 lade,i mean d song is whack. dats y he didnt get any. like u too..lol...
bw,where can i download ur lagos party n strong thing from online??
Are you on fb?wats ur i.d??
Mehn!! u guyz were major(costume),i mean u and ur co host..
guy ur acceptance speech wuz hmm... hahahaha...lol... there aint nuffin lk a lagos party ppls,no one should branch abj again.. omawunmi..my boo..hmm...luv u so much...
Congratulations on your win. And you did a great job that night - especially considering the crowd.
totally glad MI won. been playing his CD for almost 2 months. back to back. he is like a breath of fresh air to the rap game. i cld get high on his good ish borv.
now, Omawunmi, *my opinion* should have won Idols. she has the voice, the energy, the personality, the passion... i just love her. she rocks.
no one rocks a party like we Lasgidi types mehnnn. we are always ready to cheer.
i'm with you on the 500-1000 tickets that should have been given out. guess they had their reasons.
u need crazy fans to be at any music award/event. they cheer the loudest and don't believe in forming cuz the occassion calls for loud behaviour. the artist performs better too.
Darey is in a class of his own. no one, right now, sings like Darey. there is a certain class & quality to his songs.
i've still got kini big deal in my phone. still moves me big time.
glad u blog. i'll visit more often.
Am i the only one who actually thinks Dare is not as good as he should be. I'm sorry i have expected more from him since he came onto the music scene and he constantly disappoints. That young man needs to be given a slap to shake him up, he could be up there with the greats but he decides to settle and just be average....
MI is amazing in a world of his own... Any award he gets he deserves... same as Naeto C
People come on now let us be real and true to ourselves D'banj is amazing, we all love him but he is actally an ENTERTAINER as his last album proclaims.... so really Album of the year *side eye*, maybe artist of the year but album is pushing it until he starts doing some actual singing...
The nigerian music industry is on fire. If there isnt controversy after an award show then it wasnt succesful...
First time in and luvn it..hmnn
About the venue, well that;s about what I will talk about, I lagos is the more ideal for events like that.
Dem no dey hear word!!!
It's like you don't blog often right?
More updates here plsssssssssssssssss
'm one of ur 'big' fans mehn - well ever since the abati-naija saga:-) well said bro,& a rly niceone too!
Post a Comment